Sunday 28 August 2011

Last Week of Summer - 'The Help' and 'The Kids are All Right' - Random Ramblings

Hey, haven't done a post in forever. I've had such a nice few days, doing very little, reading, watching movies and just milling about at home. I've just finished watching 'The Kids are All Right' and yesterday I saw 'The Help'. That's two movies in tow days, for me that's big. I never normally watch movies, that's two hours of your time, which seems like a LOT of time to invest to one thing at home. I'm so glad it was these two films, they were both so amazing, so so amazing. I don't watch too many films, but the ones I do watch I love to death. So it's either I am easily impressed, or I'm just amazing at cherry-picking.

It all started yesterday. I was bored at home, it was about 4pm, everyone I know was either staying at home or too lazy to go out, so I decided to stroll into town on my own and just walk about a bit. I did think I'd find people I know, but once I got there I was pretty content with just walking about doing different things.

I took this picture before I went into Waterstone's
This is a couple having an argument. Well they were basically breaking up. She was crying her eyes out and he was pretty much laughing. You're probably appalled I took a photo of this VERY private moment, but I can explain. In my stroll through town I saw them at literally 3 different spots, arguing and the girl in hysterics. They'd basically been following me around, so I thought. Why not snap them?

After this shot I went into Waterstone's, and randomly I picked up a book called 'The Help', I recognized the title from someone tweet so I read the blurb. It sounded literally amazing and I stood there for 5 minutes reading bits of the book. Noone wanted to go out that night, so I decided I'd look for the movie online and watch it that night. Literally felt like a calling.

After watching 'The Color Purple' I feel a strange connection to stories about oppressed black people, where that oppression isn't the centre of the story but an omnipresent feature. 'The Color Purple' and 'The Help' fit the bill perfectly, fantastic stories that are enriched by their 'commentary' on race relations.

'The Help' 

Set in Mississippi 1962 and deals with the phenomenon of black maids raising white children in Mississippi and the stories they have to tell about their treatment. The social commentary is worthy of a seperate blog, so I won't go into that too much, it was just a really nice film. Emma Stone is getting an Oscar for this, no doubt. The pace of the film is also REALLY impressive, considering there is just SO much to deal with here, and all the characters are interesting and develop throughout the film. I really recommend this film, mostly because I want someone to talk to about bits in it. It's funny, it gets you angered, it's emotionally charged, I'm just so surprised at the depth and variety of emotions that this one film (about 2 hours) can induce. Such an achievement. It better sweep come Spring (awards). When that time comes, it'll feel great, because although this is a huge hit America, I'll feel like this is 'my team' and 'my film. 

I was so impressed with this film, my faith in Cinema was restored. That's another thing about me, I never ever go to the Cinema these days. Even saying the word sounds odd to me. It's overpriced and everyone sees the same thing, it rarely feels special. So I avoid films, unless I'm with a friend at home.

So the first thing I did today was wake up, read then find a film to watch. 

I'll review 'The Kids are All Right' later. Too much to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment